From modest beginning since 1970 to a scintillating success, the Department of English has travelled a long journey of evolution as a department of distinction. Over the years, the faculty has carved an enviable niche in contributing to the community resurgence and inculcating invincible moral, ethical and spiritual values to produce confident, dynamic, courageous and self reliant personalities.Keeping in view the tide of the time, the department introduced English as an elective subject in 1983. After the stupendous success of Elective English in 1998-99, with the efforts of the Principal and faculty members of the Department of English, a UGC sponsored course of Vocational English was started in the college to promote language skills among the students. In 2010, the department took initiative of introducing Add-On Communicative English to hone the communicative skills of the students. All the three, Elective English, Functional English and Add-On Communicative English are running successfully with good examination results. There have been many brilliant and diligent students who have scored well and distinctions in the subject. It is a matter of great pride that a good number of students gone for higher studies in the subject and are teaching at various reputed institutions.
1. BA I, II, III (English Compulsory, English Elective, Functional English)
2. BCA I, B Com I, B Sc I (Fashion Designing, Bio-Technology, Medical, Non-Medical),BBA II
(General English and Communication Skills)
1. Add on courses in Communicative English (Certificate, Diploma, Advanced Diploma)
- English Literary Society organized a workshop on the topic “Communication Skills in English and Job Opportunities” on October 11, 2012. Mr. Rudraneel Singh, Head of American TESOL Institute and Mrs. Riya, Senior Manager of American TESOL Institute delivered lectures to create awareness among students about communication skills in English and job opportunities.
- English Literary Society organized a Guest lecture on “Keys to Good Health” on August 28, 2014. The speakers were Mr. Kanwaljeet Singh Sidhu, Executive Director, Virasat Multi-purpose Organization, Punjab, Ankush Kumar and Ramandeep Pandhu. They made the students aware of the harms of junk food and motivated them to opt for healthy food.
- Screening of documentary ‘Pani Pe Likha’ (Words on Water) to the students of B.A.III on February 24, 2014.
- Screening of an animation film ‘The Selfish Giant’ based on the story of the same name by Oscar Wilde to the students of B.Sc. (Biotechnology) on September 04, 2014.
- Screening of a dance drama ‘Chandalika’ based on Rabindranath Tagore’s drama on September 30, 2014.
- Screening of movie “Khuda ke Liye” reflecting religious fanaticism to the students of English literary Society on September 17, 2014.
1. English Literary Society visited book exhibition held at Brajindra College, Faridkot on September 19, 2012.
2. Visit of Literary Society to book exhibition held at Brajindra College, Faridkot on September 20, 2013.
3. The members of Literary Society visited book exhibition held at PURC, Muktsar in November, 2013.
4. Visit to Razia Sultana fort and Thermal Plant, Bathinda in September, 2014.
5. Visited book exhibition held at PURC, Muktsar on October 13-14, 2014.
6. Visit to book exhibition held at Brajindra College, Faridkot in September, 2015.
7. Visit to book exhibition held at PURC, Muktsar on October 15, 2015.
8. English Literary Society organized a two-day trip to Anandpur Sahib, Naina Devi and Chandigarh on October 9-10, 2015. The students also visited the English daily newspaper The Hindustan Times office and press where they saw the printing of the newspaper and interacted with Mr. Prabhjit Singh, a senior editor of the paper.
9. On 9 March, 2016 – A trip to Indo-Pak Border and the memorial of Shaheed S. Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev, Hussainiwala, Ferozepur was organized by English Literary Society. Students paid floral tributes to the martyrs and were apprised of their role in the freedom of the country.
Teaching methods adopted to improve student learning
Class Discussions, Assignments, Role Plays, Charts, AV Aids, Movies/ Documentary show, Words Games, Language Lab.
Participation in Institutional Social Responsibility (ISR) and Extension activities
1. A ‘Cycle Rally’ was organized by the English Literary Society on February 9, 2016 to aware people of benefits of cycling for better environment, safe roads and good health.
2. On 26 Feb, 2016, English Literary Society patronized an awareness campaign “Polythene Free Campus” to make environment eco-friendly and healthy. Students took pledge not to use polythene bags. For this purpose, cotton bags were distributed among the students and faculty members.